Quiet Yet Close to the City Centre
The Akademie Hotel Berlin is situated in peaceful, green surroundings in Pankow, one of Berlin's largest and most beautiful boroughs. The former diplomatic quarter of the East German capital attracts many visitors to Berlin with its ingtriguing historic buildings and exhibitions.
The historic centre of Berlin is easily reached by public transport in just 15 to 20 minutes. There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel.
The vibrant, fashionable district of Prenzlauer Berg is just 10 minutes away by the M1 tram line. Our reception team will be happy to help you with current recommendations for sighseeing, shopping and cultural events.
Points of InterestDiscover Pankow & Berlin
Queen Elizabeth Christine, the wife of Frederick the Great, lived close by in Schönhausen Palace. The first president of the GDR, Wilhelm Pieck, also made this his official residence. Many high-ranking political figures from all over the world were received in Schönhausen Palace and housed in its adjoining guest lodge. An exhibition recounts the site's history.
> Schönhausen Palace
Diplomatic and Government Quarter
Most embassy buildings in the former East German capital were built in Pankow's Niederschönhausen district, and are used today as private homes or businesses. During the GDR period, Pankow was also the home of government figures, including Walter Ulbricht, Wilhelm Pieck, Otto Grotewohl, and Erich and Margot Honecker, who lived in the seclusion of Majakowskiring.
Art in Pankow
In the last century, many artists came to live and work in Pankow. There are numerous studios and galleries between the borough hall and the palace. In the immediate vicinity of the Akademie Hotel is the Erich Weinert artists' colony, a registered landmark.
The borough of Prenzlauer Berg is uniquely iconic for the other side of Berlin. This is where visitors feel the vital pulse of the city. You'll find small shops and boutiques around the historic squares of Helmholtzplatz and Kollwitzplatz, centres of cultural diversity like the Kulturbrauerei and the Max-Schmeling-Halle, open-air cafés, Jugendstil architecture, and of course a colourful mixture of people from all corners of the earth.
- From Hamburg or Rostock: At Dreieck Pankow, take the A114; exit at Pasewalker Strasse and drive about 8 minutes to the Akademie Hotel
- From Leipzig, Munich, or Hanover: Take the A100, exit at Seestrasse, and drive about 8 km to the Akademie Hotel Berlin
- From Dresden or Frankfurt/Oder: At Schönefelder Kreuz, take the A113 to the A100, then exit at Seestrasse and drive about 8 km to the Akademie Hotel Berlin
- From Berlin's central station (Hauptbahnhof): Take line S5, S7 or S75 to Friedrichstrasse, then S2 to Pankow, then bus 107 or 250 or tram M1 to Bürgerpark Pankow or bus 155 to Heinrich-Mann-Platz (7 km in all)
- From Tegel Airport (TXL): Take bus 128 to Osloer Strasse, then bus 150 to Heinrich-Mann-Strasse, stopping about 350 m from the hotel (8.7 km in all)
- From Schönefeld Airport (SXF): Take line S9 to Pankow, then bus 107 or 250 or tram M1 to Bürgerpark Pankow or bus 155 to Heinrich-Mann-Platz (30 km in all)
- From Berlin's convention centre station (Messe Nord/ICC), take line S42 to Schönhauser Allee, then tram M1 to Bürgerpark Pankow (13 km in all)
|Bus 107, 155 or 250 or tram M1 to S+U Pankow, then line U2 to Alexanderplatz|
|Tram M1 to Hackescher Markt|
|Bus 107, 155 or 250 or tram M1 to S+U Pankow, then line S2 or tram M1 to Friedrichstrasse|
|Unter den Linden, Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag||
|Bus 107, 155 or 250 or tram M1 to S+U Pankow, then line S2 to Brandenburger Tor|
|Bus 107, 155 or 250 or tram M1 to S+U Pankow, then line U2 bis Alexanderplatz|
|Bus 107, 155 or 250 or tram M1 to S+U Pankow, then line S2 to Potsdamer Platz|
|Bus 150 or 255 to U Osloer Strasse, then line U9 to Kurfürstendamm|
Low Emissions Zone
The area of central Berlin inside the ring line of the S-Bahn system was made a Low Emissions Zone in 2008. Only motor vehicles with a fine-particle emissions certificate may be operated in this zone. You can get such a certificate at any motor vehicle registration office or authorized garage, or over the Internet at www.umweltzone-berlin.de.
The Akademie Hotel Berlin is located outside the Low-Emissions Zone, and can be reached by car without an emissions certificate.